Sunday, November 8, 2009

Funny Farm

The old farmhouse was demolished some time ago. When I was a kid it was used to house people assigned to a work-release program. Some had a criminal record, but as far as I know, none did anything too serious. Many worked in the barn, which is still standing and was recently restored, while others would stock the general store with hand-made items. There was a nice selection of treats and my Grandma would let me get candy cigarettes whenever we stopped by for a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread. Grandma is the one who dubbed it the “Funny Farm” and to this day I still don’t know its proper name. I’m not sure what the barn is currently used for, but the acres of land have been converted into a county park with marked trails for walking or, if you have a horse, riding. On Saturday, after weeks of rain and just plain dreary weather, the skies cleared, and the temps were mild. Klynt and I grabbed our walking shoes and set out to enjoy the morning.











No comments:

Post a Comment